Cape Fear Navigating Change 2050 is the Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP) which will be the plan used by federal, state, and local governments to guide transportation projects in our region over the next 25 years. The plan includes an evaluation of potential aviation, bicycle and pedestrian, ferry and water transportation, rail, public transportation, and roadway projects to meet the needs of the region.
Share the survey for a chance to win!
Survey respondents who share the survey on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or LinkedIn using the hashtag #NavigatingChange2050 get entered to win! Prizes are awarded every month the survey is open.
- August – Tandem kayak rental (fits 2 people)
- September – Bike rental for 2 people
- October – 2 Tickets for a boat ride on the Cape Fear River
- November – 4 tickets to the Wilmington Railroad Museum
*City of Wilmington employees are not eligible to win these prizes.
How to take the survey
If you need instructions, watch the videos below for how to take the survey on either desktop or mobile versions.
Desktop version video.
Mobile version video.
What is an MTP?
An MTP, or Metropolitan Transportation Plan, is a plan produced by MPOs (Metropolitan Planning Organizations) which identifies the region’s transportation needs. In 2025, Cape Fear Navigating Change 2050 will replace the current plan, Cape Fear Moving Forward 2045.
Federal law requires a Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP) that is:
- Multi-modal (6 transportation modes)
- Fiscally constrained
- Has a minimum 20-year planning horizon (WMPO planning horizon is 25 years) and is updated every 5 years
- Adheres to the adopted public involvement policy
- Created using growth forecasts consistent with the latest local land use plans
Projects included in the MTP have been recognized as a regional priority that has potential funding. This can be a critical step towards a project being included in the TIP and then constructed.
MTP Project Timeline
Phase 1 of public outreach for the 2050 MTP begins in August 2023 and concludes in November 2023. Phase 2 of public outreach begins in June 2025, when the draft plan will be released for public comment, with plan adoption expected in November 2025.
The WMPO will host six public meetings in August to provide more information and collect input for the plan:
- Northeast Library, Pine Room | August 3, 4pm – 6 pm. (1241 Military Cutoff Rd, Wilmington NC 28405)
- | August 15, 9am – 11am. (1121 N Lake Park Blvd, Carolina Beach NC 28428)
- Belville Town Hall | August 17, 4pm – 6 pm. (63 River Rd SE, Belville NC 28451)
- Hampstead Annex | August 22, 4pm – 6 pm. (15060 Hwy 17, Hampstead NC 28443)
- New Hanover County Senior Center | August 24, 9am – 11am. (2222 College Rd, Wilmington NC 28403)
- Virtual Session | September 8, 12pm – 1pm. Use this link to join the meeting at the scheduled time.
How to provide your input
Phase 1 of public outreach for the development of the MTP is from August 2023 to November 2023. Members of the public can provide input through an online survey, or attend public meetings or outreach events to provide feedback. Take the survey to tell us your thoughts about your community’s transportation needs (available in English and Spanish)! Paper surveys are available upon request.
The WMPO is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities. To request accommodation, please contact us at least 48 hours in advance at 910-341-3258 or email@example.com.
Promotional toolkit for communicators
If you are a communications professional looking to promote the MTP and survey, please feel free to utilize our promotional toolkit for print materials, PDFs, and social media content.